Work-life balance is something that is often spoken about. The first step in maintaining this balance is to have a work line, and personal line. There are a few different options and ways you can go about this.
The first option is to have two phones with different numbers. This can be a huge hassle. Instead of getting a second phone for your business, you can instead, get a virtual number and forward your business number to your personal line. This can be turned on and off, and even forwarded to managers and other employees. This is the best way to stay connected with your customers, while still being able to take time for your own personal life.
Can You Use Your Personal Phone Number for Your Business?
Using your personal phone for business has a variety of negative effects. This can make you vulnerable to cyber threats trying to copy your identity, but it can also be dangerous in terms of stalkers. You might need to block people who are trying to get in touch with you personally and this can be stressful. In the event you need to change your number because it is too much stress, you will need to not only change your business phone but also your personal phone. Rather than have the same number for both, it is a great idea to get a separate number for your business.
Reasons You Should Get a Separate Number for Your Business?
Although you can use your personal phone number for your business doesn't mean that you should. There are a variety of benefits of not doing so and getting a separate phone number specifically for your business.
Here are a few of the most common reasons to get a seperate number for your business.
- Improve customer relationships: By being available at different hours, or when you are away from your business, you can improve customer service. It does not mean you need to be on call 24/7, but you should be able to forward calls to a manager or someone else in your business.
- Reliability: Having a business phone also increases your reliability. It can allow you to be there when your customers need you.
- Separate your personal life and business: By having a new number you can decide when you disconnect. This means you can choose to be there when your customers need you, but also shut off when you need space. The ultimate work-life balance.
- Choose local or easy-to-remember numbers: Having an easy-to-remember number is very important. This makes it simple for customers to pick up the phone and call you without technology. The same can be said for having a local number. If customers do not need to remember an extra three-digit area code it will make calling you a lot more simple.
- Control over employee and customer communications: Having full control of who answers the phone and when they do it will allow you to understand the workings of your business. It can also help you to identify problems should they arise.
- Is a business phone a tax write off?: One benefit of having a business phone is that it is a business operational cost. This means you do not need to pay taxes on equivalent profits.
Why do some small business owners not get a business phone?
If not all small business owners are getting business phones you might wonder, “should I get a business phone?” Although some small business owners may not get a business phone, it is usually because they do not want to pay the costs.
They also may not be aware of the benefits. Despite this, there are a tremendous amount of benefits of having a business phone from security to safety, to better customer service, and maintaining a good work life balance.
How to Find a Good Business Phone Number
One of the most essential parts of having a good business phone number is for it to be toll-free, and local. It wouldn’t make sense for a New York area code to be the number for a local business in Arkansas.
Even if you are not necessarily local, getting a virtual number that is from the area you are servicing makes sense. Having a local area code makes it easy for customers to trust your brand. The same can be said about having a toll-free number. Your customers should not have to worry about paying to speak with you.
Should You Get a Business Phone?
The benefits of having a business phone number outweigh the costs to install one. If you are looking to have a professional and dedicated business, having a business phone number or virtual phone number is an essential step. You want your business to continue growing and being successful, so creating that line of communication to make it as successful as possible is a must.